Corporate Social Responsibility
In today’s environment specific responsibility for the company’s actions in a number of areas has to be undertaken.
• We work towards reducing, reusing or recycling all our wastage from warehouses, yard and offices.
• All our vehicles comply to statutory standards in reducing air pollution and both our lorry drivers and fork lift drivers are fully trained and advised in company working practices for their and our customer’s safety.
• We are an equal opportunities employer to ensure that all our staff are treated fairly and with dignity.
• Stringent Health & Safety procedures which are audited every six months, are enforced at all our premises for the benefit of both staff and customers.
• We operate a traffic management system at our depot and our yard staff includes trained banksmen to control the flow of traffic.
George Lines recognises that we have a responsibility to the environment and endeavour to carry out every aspect of our business in ways which are as environmentally friendly as possible.
Our commitment to the environment is demonstrated by our FSC® chain of custody (CU-COC-839723) certification which is awarded to companies that can demonstrate that their products contain wood from well managed forests. This is an independent certification and this chain-of-custody certification allows us to sell FSC Certified Plywood and Timber Products as part of our stock range.
We also have PEFC chain-of-custody certification (CU-PEFC-839723) which enables us to widen our stock-range of certified products. Commitment to the environment is part of every aspect of our business. We regularly appraise all our suppliers to ensure their products and services meet the exacting standards we demand. In many cases we investigate a supplier’s environmental policy before a partnership can begin.